80s Movies - Ghostbusters







For my second illustration in my 80s Movies series, I went back to my childhood and a movie that sparked more excitement than any other of the time - Ghostbusters.

This was by far one of the coolest movies of the mid 80s, that drove kids wild. I remember going to see it and being blown away by the whole package - the special effects, the story, the acting, the humour - it was all just COOL.

So in this poster I took some extra effort to get the details right. Starting with the Gozer building, (in reality 55 Central Park West in New York) I found as many source images I could and did my best to get it right - its not 100% accurate by any means, but I think Ive got a good interpretation of the architecture.  For the movie, the special effects artists added on another half again to the top of the real building - the real one finishes where the 'church-like' feature about halfway up.

Finding reference for the Gozer pinnacle at the top was a problem - I couldn't find anything other than long distance matte paintings, but then luckily, I found a site detailing an old auction where the actual model was for sale.

The rest was drawing the Ghostbusters themselves, and the Ecto-1, which was great fun, and finally Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

I really enjoyed thins one, despite the detailing - hope you like it too.

0 comments: